Have you ever wished that you had all the resources you needed to take a trip anywhere in the world that you wanted to go? Most of us fantasize about boarding a plane, or train, or cruise ship and heading for the destination of a lifetime. However, the truth is that such a trip takes immense planning, and it will involve many different types of technology to get you from home to paradise.
For this Unit 8 Assignment you will create an itinerary for JUST YOU for a two week trip to any destination of your choice. Yes, for this trip, you are traveling alone.
- Choose your destination. The only restriction is that the destination must be outside of the 48 contiguous United States (i.e. not Hawaii or Alaska).
- Imagine that you have all of the financial resources you need, and a two week vacation from your job and university courses. Family and significant others wish you well as you take this well-deserved solo vacation.
- Determine the best way to get to your destination, and set up the travel arrangements to and from. You may also need transportation while you are at your destination, so arrange that too.
- Plan out the activities you want to do while you are at the destination of your dreams.
- Plan for the trip home.
- You might already have the return transportation arranged, but how will you get to the train depot or the air or seaport?
- How will you prepare for an uneventful encounter with the Transportation Security Administration or other Customs checks?
- Write the itinerary in essay form as a Microsoft Word document. The minimum length should be 4-5 pages, plus a title page and a reference page for the list of websites or other resources you used to plan the trip. Save your essay and then upload it to the Unit 8 Assignment Dropbox.
You may find this outline helpful as you organize your Unit 8 Assignment.
Outline for Unit 8 Assignment
- Introduction a. Describe the purpose of the paper
- Choose the Destination
- Describe the technology used to research destinations.
- Name the destination chosen.
- Explain what factors that you discovered during your search helped you determine your choice.
III. Arrange Transportation to and from the Destination
- Describe the technology used to figure out the best means of transportation. What search engines did you use?
- Describe how you determined the form of transportation you chose to go to and return home from your destination. Note: You may travel by different modes of transportation to and from. Remember, your funds are unlimited and you only have two weeks off.
- Where will you stay and where will you dine?
- Describe how you used technology to find lodging and make mealtime plans.
- What will you do while you are at the Destination?
- Describe the technology and process you used to find out what there is to do at your destination.
- Create a schedule of the activities by day and time of day.
- Consider whether you will need to arrange transportation from your lodging to the event? If so, use technology to set that up too.
- How will you use technology to record the memories you are making on this trip?
- Back to the real world
- How will you use technology to get to the transportation depot for your return home?
- Will technology be part of your preparations to pass uneventfully through the security check before you board the boat, plane or train that will take you home?
- How will technology help you to readjust and go back to your normal life?
- Restate the main points of the paper and add closure to the assignment
Assignment Rubric: Unit 8
A: 145-160 points
Assignment includes an itinerary in essay form that addresses all of these elements:
* Names the destination, explains what factors determined that destination, describes how technology was used to research the destination
* Names the means of transportation to and from the destination and describes how technology was used to set it up
* Outlines a lodging and meal plans, and describes how technology helped determine these arrangements
* Describes a day by day activities schedule that includes days, times, places and transportation. Includes the way technology was involved in the process of making the plan, and how technology will help record the memories made.
* Explains how technology was used to arrange the trip to the transportation depot and to prepare for the security check.
* Describes the way technology will help the traveler return to the everyday life upon return home.
* The essay is written in Microsoft Word, is 4-5 pages in length, plus it has a title and a reference page.